When management are pressing for a schedule to be maintained and telling people that the ‘deadline must be met’, they would do well to pause for thought.
It’s management that’s responsible for the performance of our people in the field. Recently in the media we’ve seen some notable examples of safety management failure in the shipping industry – but the same principle of accountability extends across all industry sectors. With shipping in mind, it’s worth reminding ourselves of the comments make at the Court of Inquiry for the loss of the British ferry HERALD OF FREE ENTERPRISE when 193 people died. The Judge ruled:
‘All concerned in management, from the members of the Board of Directors down to the junior superintendents, were guilty of fault in that all must be regarded as sharing responsibility for the failure of management. From the top to the bottom the body corporate was infected with the disease of sloppiness’.
It was as a result of this disaster that the maritime industry introduced the International Safety Management code for ships. This code requires ship owners to define their procedures and, as a result, many operators now make extensive use of checklists to ensure that tasks are completed thoroughly and management have ‘overview’..
CheckIt software is ideal for recording inspection data and providing management overview of safety procedures in any industry. It’s a web based solution for any audit or inspection based management program.
The following is a list of features that help ensure that field personnel can easily record inspection data and for management to maintain overview.
- Checklist data entry from paper, browser, iOS and Android apps
- Allows On and Offline data capture
- Allows for electronic signatures
- Action management tool for managing issues and associated corrective actions
- Configurable rules engine for action notifications, checklist answer alerts and reminders
- Configurable, user-specific dashboard for reporting trends, issues and safety performance across your business
- Instant, powerful and flexible reporting by site, business unit or corporate-wide
- Full online access to all data and analytics with standard and custom reporting
- Automatic reports for OSHA 300, OSHA 300A, Incident Rates, and more
- Analyse and report data online or export to PDF, Excel, CSV, and JPEG formats
- Drag & drop checklist builder to easily create your own checklists
- Blank paper-based checklists printed directly from the system
- No proprietary scanning hardware required
- Easily attach photos to observations, inspections, and assessments completed by browser or app
- Multi language capability
- Integrates with other ERP, HR, EHS solutions if needed
Why not take the Checkit Challenge and see if you can improve the quality of your company’s inspection or auditing processes, improve management overview AND save cost – we bet you can and it will cost you nothing to find out!